Class Assignment #1


  • What kind of illustration is this? This illustration is a collection of multiple pages from a children's book. The illustrations are painted and collaged together.
  • What was the context in which the illustration appeared? This illustration appeared in a children's book titled "The Very Hungry Caterpillar." This children's book is one that my mom used to read to me when I was little, and it is a book I read to the children in my life. Whether I am babysitting or just hanging out with the family, when it is bedtime I usually read this book.
  • Who is the sender of the illustrated message? The illustrator of the book is essentially the sender, but at the same time the sender could be the parent, adult or older child sharing/reading the book.
  • Who is the intended audience of the illustrated message? Children are the intended audience of this illustration.
  • What is the purpose of the illustration? The purpose of this illustration is to visually represent what is happening in this children's book's story. This specific illustration is the part of the story when the Very Hungry Caterpillar begins to eat anything and everything because he is just so very hungry.
  • What is the communication objective of the illustration? This illustration's communication objective is to show the quantity and variety of what the caterpillar is eating. The illustration is partnered with the author's narration of specifically what the caterpillar is eating.
  • Who is the illustrator? Where do they live? Where do they work? Eric Carle is the illustrator. He was born in Syracuse, New York, but he currently spends his time in the Florida Keys or the Hills of North Carolina.
  • What medium was the illustration created in? White tissue paper and acrylic paints were used to create this illustration.
  • Why did you choose this as one of your illustration examples? When I try to remember my first encounter with the word "illustration," I immediately think of this book. In elementary school when I first learned what an 'illustrator's' job was I learned about Eric Carle. The Very Hungry Caterpillar could be considered "one of the greatest childhood classics of all time." The simplicity of his method stands out. Eric Carle's style of cut out and paste collage is simple enough for children to enjoy, but the work also stands on its own as art. I specifically chose this illustration from the book because when I was a child my favorite part was imagining a tiny caterpillar eating funny things like an ice cream cone or a muffin. Turns out caterpillars like the same snacks I do!